.

Sunday, April 12, 2020

A Divoh Reusing Essay?

A Divoh Reusing Essay?A Divoh Reusing Essay? For the Administrators and the Faculty at Amherst College?For those of you who are familiar with my career, I am a future Faculty Candidate at Amherst College. The present administration and faculty are not happy with the way I interpret the word, 'reusing.' They want to increase the longevity of their 'assets' such as the quality of teaching that is completed, the quantity of courses offered and so on. I am a graduate of Amherst College (and I'm part of the future Faculty Candidates pool) and therefore I am sympathetic to their concerns.In the past few weeks, I have heard a number of thoughts that I will attempt to address in this post. There seems to be an attempt to change some of the language from the word 'reusing' in the curriculum and teaching style guide published by the college (the TASK FORCE).They seem to be suggesting that their teaching method is substituted for the word, 'reusing.' While I understand the motivation behind thi s, the fact remains that this would make it seem as if there was no balance between the use of the word, 'reusing,' and the purpose of the college.In previous posts, I have made the point that, even if our faculty were to stop using the word, 'reusing,' that would not be good for our students and future graduates. That is because students and future graduates need to understand that the word, 'reusing,' means 'complementary, or overlapping.' If we only focus on utilizing the word, 'reusing,' we miss out on a lot of the great opportunities that we offer our students, graduates and faculty members alike.Of course, I realize that there are some who feel that they need to think more deeply about all of these issues. It would be nice if this faculty and administration decision came about, in their minds, and then they said 'that's a good idea.' But, unfortunately, that isn't how the world works. What we seem to have here, is the fear of change and an attempt to impose some 'unilateral de cisions' without much thought to what might actually make sense.I want to challenge you, my fellow faculty and administrators, to look at the current structure and the divisions in our College and go beyond the discussion, for the sake of your students, graduates and future faculty candidates. Be careful not to let the fear of change derail the work that has been done in the past. Keep focused on what makes sense, what our students really need and why. Without doing this, I don't see any indication that the College can move forward.Please consider all this and think on it in 2020. It is my hope that the College can learn from its past mistakes and come up with a set of strategies that are reflective of the needs of our students and future graduates. Let's get started.

No comments:

Post a Comment